Summer Broccoli Salad

It’s been over a decade since I’ve had this salad. My mom used to make it all the time when I was a little girl.

Sometimes these family recipes escape you … and then one day, you have a light bulb moment, and all the flavors come rushing back.

The sweet and sour dressing, the softness of the cheddar with the crunch of the broccoli, the bacon

I emailed mom right away to get the recipe and found out that she got it from our Aunt June, who is actually my Great, Great Aunt June.

We used to go visit Aunt June and Uncle Chet’s chicken farm in Halifax, Pennsylvania every Thanksgiving when I was little.  I loved it there.  Good ol’ country cooking.  (I also remember that chicken farms smell AWFUL!)

Do you have family recipes that have been passed down generations? Don’t ever forget them. Write them down.  Right now.  I mean it.  They aren’t just recipes they are memories.

Shopping List (Recipe From My Mom)

Broccoli (one large or two small bunches)
Small red onion
Sharp Cheddar Cheese 8 oz-12 oz
Bacon 1 lb. (thick sliced)
½ cup white vinegar
1 cup sugar
½ cup water

Salad:
Wash broccoli with cold water and strip away leaves, then chop florets (cut or pulled ) into small size parts and stems sliced in small pieces. Dice your onion.

Cube your cheddar into pieces that are big enough to be caught by a fork. Mom says don’t skimp by going low fat and Vermont sharp is the best.

Cook your bacon then cool and crumble or rough chop.

[Mom don’t be mad, I used turkey bacon and I should have known better. It wasn’t as good as regular, I don’t recommend it.]

Toss everything in to a big bowl, nibbling along the way is correct …

Dressing:
In a small bowl add your sugar, water and vinegar. Blend with mixer or whisk until smooth. You can microwave the sugar and water then blend with vinegar until you get the right taste. It should be more sweet from the sugar than sour from the vinegar.

DOUSE the salad in the dressing and toss — too much is better than not enough — as what isn’t absorbed will drop to the bottom of the bowl.

Refrigerate at least overnight — but best after 24 hours.

Love Mom

P.S. I called this a Summer broccoli salad but really this could be a Winter, Spring or Fall salad too.

21 Responses to “Summer Broccoli Salad”

1. Tina (PinayInTexas) posted on July 25, 2011 at 7:10 pm (#)

Broccoli and bacon salad is one of our favorite here at home…even my daughters love eating it!
    Just gave it a buzz too! :)

2. Christine's Pantry posted on July 25, 2011 at 8:30 pm (#)

Love the ingredients you have in this salad. Perfect for a hot day, like today. It’s only 107 degrees in the shade. Buzzed you.

3. Erin posted on July 25, 2011 at 8:31 pm (#)

So glad you were able to get this recipe and document it forever! It looks like a good one!

4. Curt posted on July 25, 2011 at 9:22 pm (#)

Great looking salad, and great combination of ingredients.
    My daughter and I used to pick fresh broccoli out of our garden, sit on the back steps with a container of onion dip and eat until we were full.

5. Lizzy posted on July 25, 2011 at 9:36 pm (#)

What a delicious salad…and it’s not dripping with mayo :) I love the addition of cheese…yum!

6. Ann posted on July 26, 2011 at 2:28 am (#)

I love this salad, but never had the recipe…THANK YOU!

7. Mental Chew posted on July 26, 2011 at 4:35 am (#)

The bacon! Nice. It will surely be a hit here.

8. Chelsea posted on July 26, 2011 at 6:04 am (#)

Wow, this is awesome! I’ve been looking for new ways to use broccoli and this looks perfect! Bookmarked.

9. Tina posted on July 26, 2011 at 3:33 pm (#)

Good broccoli salad recipes are hard to find and this really looks delicious. I love the flavors that have been added-yum!
    flourtrader.blogspot.com

10. Brissa posted on July 26, 2011 at 3:42 pm (#)

“the bacon.”
    that meat makes everything better. mmmm.
    p.s. is it just me, or did you have an even stevens flashback to beans just now?

11. Bon Bon posted on July 27, 2011 at 3:38 am (#)

THIS brings back memories! Oh my goodness, I had totally forgotten about this salad. Soooo goood:-) xoxo

12. something_good posted on July 27, 2011 at 6:59 am (#)

I’ve just had roast broccoli for dinner last night and now I stumbled upon your recipe. I must confess that I wasn’t a broccoli fan until a couple of years ago when I started to use it extensively (salads, side dishes…). Great photo!

13. Parsley Sage posted on July 27, 2011 at 3:28 pm (#)

I only had broccoli for the first time last month after I made a recipe from Manu’s Menu. I’ve had it three times since then :) Thanks for increasing my broccoli arsenal! Buzzed

14. DisneyMom posted on July 27, 2011 at 4:41 pm (#)

Hello. I found your blog through StumbleUpon and I stumbled this post. I hope I did it right. I am new to this. I am not sure how you were able to add the “stumble” icon at the bottom of your post! :)

15. The Farmers Wife posted on July 27, 2011 at 5:13 pm (#)

Mmmm!! I love this salad, I’ve only had it once but it was just amazing!

16. Torviewtoronto posted on July 28, 2011 at 3:21 am (#)

cheddar cheese with broccoli looks wonderful

17. Ivan D posted on August 4, 2011 at 11:41 am (#)

Just found your blog a few days ago and just made this 2 days ago. Had it last evening.
    I’m not a really big fan of anything broccoli, but this was fantastic!

18. Charissa posted on August 18, 2011 at 8:36 pm (#)

Yummyville! We are having good ole broc tonight!

19. Anonymous posted on April 12, 2012 at 8:20 am (#)

Instead of sugar, is it possible to use Xylitol? If so, how much?

20. pcWildflower@aol.com posted on June 12, 2012 at 3:39 am (#)

I am sure you can use a sweetener…Its merely a sweet and sour mix- prepare it to taste – There should be an equivilant chart on the sweetener package- Shell’s Mom ( pcwildflower@aol.com)

21. American Legion Ladies Auxiliary Unit 783 posted on August 16, 2012 at 1:20 am (#)

Michelle (and Jamie) … I have made this salad three times for family gatherings since you posted it. The first time my sweet and sour mix was a little off. The next time I made the mix in a saucepan over heat and stirred until the mixture turned clear and then I let the mixture cool somewhat before I poured it over the salad. It was a Wow! This time it was a big hit with son and family. Next time at a big event people were chowing down on it and asking for the recipe. Thanks for sharing and the memories :~)AR