Lil Smokies with Green Apple and Brie Cheese

I was so excited yesterday about this gourmet piggies in a blanket recipe for my Hot Dog Friday post. What perfect flavor pairings!

I was patting my self on the back for coming up with the concept from the time I picked up my ingredients, until I took them out of the oven…

And then…  I just really didn’t like the way they looked. When my apples baked and I lost that bright green coloring on the skin and they lost all uniformity.

So I tasted them… not bad…

I arranged them on a nice plate and whipped up my Honey-Horseradish Mustard dipping sauce, tasted some more…

Tasting, tasting… all the while trying to decide if I would post this recipe for Hot Dog Friday or not.

When it was time to photograph I looked down and realized I had eaten over HALF of my gourmet piggies. Damn!

After being able to abstain from eating those pink lemonade cupcakes, I realized that if I couldn’t hold back from these little hot dogs, they were certainly blog worthy.

TGIF. Enjoy your weekend everyone.

Shopping List
Package of lil smokies or cocktail wieners
Canister of Pillsbury crescent rolls
One green apple

Half of a small wheel of brie cheese
4 tablespoons light mayo
4 tablespoons horseradish
3 tablespoons honey
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.

Slice your green apple in to quarter inch strips leaving on the skin. I used a mandolin to keep them thin and uniform in size.

Unroll crescent rolls, cutting down each triangle so that they turn into two triangles.

Wrap your lil smokie halfway in the roll, then place a (similar size to the smokie) piece of brie cheese (rind on) and two strips of apple. Finish rolling up the smokie in the crescent roll. Place on an un-greased cookie sheet with the cheese side up.

Wrap all of the mini hot dogs this way. Bake for 15 minutes or until they are golden brown around the edges.

In a small bowl whisk the last four ingredients together until combined and serve with your cooled gourmet piggies.

12 Responses to “Lil Smokies with Green Apple and Brie Cheese”

1. Erika Lee Sears posted on July 15, 2011 at 2:57 pm (#)

apples plus brie- so amazing. looks like such a great recipe for entertaining. :)

2. icancookthat posted on July 15, 2011 at 2:58 pm (#)

Looks good to me! I’m sure these would disappear very quickly at a party. Great recipe!

3. S.V. posted on July 15, 2011 at 3:04 pm (#)

Yum…… I think it’s possible that you just made lil smokies fancy!

4. Tina posted on July 15, 2011 at 4:27 pm (#)

I still have one green apple left-I will need to get some smokies soon to try this. Fantastic flavor combo in bite size. Great post.
    flourtrader.blogspot.com

5. Kelly @ Eat Yourself Skinny posted on July 15, 2011 at 5:01 pm (#)

Piggies in a blanket with a twist!! Love these! :)

6. Claire Gallam posted on July 15, 2011 at 5:51 pm (#)

These are SO cute!!!! I love the twist on a classic dish!

7. Erin posted on July 16, 2011 at 7:01 pm (#)

This is super cute – and yummy! Perfect for kids – they get their meat, and their fruit in one fun bite!

8. Christine's Pantry posted on July 16, 2011 at 9:43 pm (#)

Love Lil Smokies. This sounds wonderful. I must try this. Thanks for awesome recipe.

9. Janet@FromCupcakesToCaviar posted on July 16, 2011 at 9:45 pm (#)

I think they look delicious lowered color and all. I doubt I would have stopped at half lol. I sooooo buzzed this.

10. Dee at Deelicious Sweets posted on July 17, 2011 at 3:05 am (#)

Lol, that is so funny you ate so many! I don’t think I would have been able to hold back either! They sound delicious!

11. Parsley Sage posted on July 17, 2011 at 3:46 pm (#)

Ha! Awesome story :) Those little smokies sound delish! Buzzed

12. arson posted on July 21, 2012 at 7:43 pm (#)

You need to have a video demonstrating your rolling technique. I don’t think we were very successful in that department, but they were tasty all the same.