Strawberry Margarita Jello Shots

So, typically my lemon or orange peel jello shots are my go to party trick, but I was feeling sassy this weekend and wanted to try something new.

I found the recipe for these strawberry margarita jello shots on Bakers Royale. They weren’t as easy to make as I had assumed.  Here are are the instructions adapted from Bakers Royale and some tips to make sure you don’t have the problems I did.

Strawberry Prep (About two plastic containers of strawberries should do it, but you will have left over jello for sure)  Cut the bottoms of the strawberry flat to get them to stand upright. When you do so, make sure that you do not cut off so much that there is a hole at the bottom. *REALLY  be careful about cutting off the bottom of the strawberry. Just the littlest hole (even a teeny tiny one) will make your jello leak out of the berry.

Use a paring knife or small spoon to hollow out the berries. Don’t get too into emptying the strawberry, just do your best.  *Look for the biggest strawberries you can, they hold the most jello.

Jello Mix
1 regular (small) box Strawberry Jell-O
1 cup tequila,
1 cup water
Sugar and sliced lime for garnish

(For a kid friendly non-alcoholic version just use cold water or lemonade instead of tequila!)

Instructions
Boil one cup of hot water in a saucepan, then add in Jell-o powder and whisk until powder is completely dissolved, about 2 minutes. Set aside. Measure out 1 cup of  tequila and set aside.

Add cold tequila to hot Jell-o mixture and stir to combine.

Pour mix into strawberries and chill overnight. Pour some sugar on a plate and rim your strawberries with it. You don’t need to wet the berry it will stick on its own. Garnish with cut lime triangles to finish. Keep really cold until serving.

For featuring on your website please make sure to contact thatssomichelle@gmail.com

44 Responses to “Strawberry Margarita Jello Shots”

1. Ericka Andersen posted on June 4, 2011 at 3:53 pm (#)

Omg, Michelle…these are soooo cute!

2. Michelle O posted on June 4, 2011 at 4:30 pm (#)

Thank you! I wish you could have one! :) Call me later. Hope youre having a good weekend.

3. savoryandsavage posted on June 4, 2011 at 6:47 pm (#)

Ok, I know what I am bringing to the next cocktail party I get invited to.

These are adorable beyond belief – and great photos by the way.

4. Travis posted on June 4, 2011 at 9:00 pm (#)

Fantastic job! Absolutely amazing.

5. DD posted on June 4, 2011 at 11:54 pm (#)

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    lovely photography…Yummy recipe!!!
    Happy Blogging!!!!
    Food Blog News Daily
    Good Food Recipes

6. Parsley Sage posted on June 5, 2011 at 1:00 am (#)

Fabulous! Those are amazing. And they sound delicious :) Yum, strawberry!

7. Emily posted on June 5, 2011 at 1:26 am (#)

i keep seeing these everywhere and im dying to make them! Im thinking it will be the perfect thing for my 21st birthday next month :)

8. Amy's Cooking Adventures posted on June 5, 2011 at 3:28 am (#)

Amazing! I want these now!

9. maggie. mayd. posted on June 5, 2011 at 3:59 pm (#)

speechless- I don’t know what I like more the photography or the concept-strawberry cups?!?!?!!?

10. Lizzy posted on June 6, 2011 at 12:29 am (#)

WOW, Michelle! What a fabulous idea…just stunning! Buzzed you~

11. Mrs. T posted on June 6, 2011 at 3:27 am (#)

YUM!

12. amy b.s. posted on June 6, 2011 at 1:51 pm (#)

between these and the lime ones you had a while ago, i can’t wait for my sister’s bachelorette party! these are too fun!

13. Sarah posted on June 8, 2011 at 3:31 am (#)

Oh these are such a good party trick! And I am so making them for a bachelorette party I have this weekend!

14. BestOodles posted on June 9, 2011 at 3:24 am (#)

Wow, what a amazing color and idea!

15. Liz posted on June 9, 2011 at 8:37 pm (#)

I want to have an entire Jello shot party!!! They all look amazing!! I love that unlike the others, you can actually eat the entirety of these! Bravo!! :)

16. Sarah posted on June 24, 2011 at 4:58 pm (#)

So cute – what a good idea!

17. Lauren @ Crafty in the Concrete Jungle posted on June 27, 2011 at 4:28 pm (#)

These look so cute and delicious! I’m def going to have to try to make these.

18. Scott posted on July 26, 2011 at 8:37 am (#)

You could use mini cupcake papers to sit them in rather than slicing off the bottoms?

19. Michelle posted on August 3, 2011 at 9:41 pm (#)

You are our hero, these are amazing!!! If I have a night where I want to drink but have an abundance of patience…..

20. Kris Nelson posted on September 3, 2011 at 12:43 am (#)

hint on hollowing out the berries…if you have a strawberry huller (mine is from Crate and Barrel), it makes that part a breeze! First batch in the fridge and my fingers are crossed! Perfect for our college football tailgates (and the soaked gummy bears will be going into the game with us)!!!

21. Anonymous posted on September 30, 2011 at 1:41 am (#)

How many strawberries are in a box of strawberries?

22. Anonymous posted on October 5, 2011 at 4:07 pm (#)

An egg carton would help them to stand up so you don’t have to cut them flat.

23. Anonymous posted on October 5, 2011 at 4:09 pm (#)

Oh good idea!!! But then how do you serve them? cutting them flat helps with presentation as well.

24. Irene posted on October 21, 2011 at 10:54 am (#)

You could cut them afterwards! I haven’t tried, but that egg carton thing sounds like a great idea!

Thank you so much for the jellyshot recipes Michelle, i’ll try them all for a party next week! Your blog is awesome! Greetings from Paris :)

25. Megan posted on November 3, 2011 at 8:49 pm (#)

Those are so cute! I’ve just been wandering around your site and checking out your jello shots (and other things too)! Fun stuff.

26. Anonymous posted on November 13, 2011 at 1:45 am (#)

OMG!!! We tried these tonight and they came out delish!!!

27. Anonymous posted on January 27, 2012 at 6:58 pm (#)

i made these and used an ice cube tray to set them up! it was really helpful in holding them upright, they were a huge hit, thanks so much!

• Michelle O replied on January 27th, 2012 at 6:58 pm

What a fantastic idea! Thank you! :)

• Anonymous replied on February 27th, 2012 at 9:40 pm

amazing idea and they turned out soooo cute…but they were sooooo gross :( 1 cup is way too much tequila!

28. Sara posted on April 24, 2012 at 8:58 am (#)

I love all your jello shot ideas!! I made the orange peel ones over the past weekend and they were a hit with everyone!!!! I’m trying these ones this weekend, but wondering at about how many strawberry’s i am looking at for just one box of jello?

29. Anonymous posted on April 30, 2012 at 10:16 pm (#)

The recipe doesn’t say how many strawberries??

• Michelle O replied on May 1st, 2012 at 2:03 am

I can’t believe I didn’t put that on there! I believe I used about 2 containers. You know the medium sized plastic crates from the store. It’s super super time consuming though so I may have stopped after hollowing 1 and a half. There will always be left over jello. I just poured the extra into old fashioned style jello shot cups!

• Anonymous replied on May 4th, 2012 at 3:42 pm

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

• Anonymous replied on May 4th, 2012 at 3:50 pm

What size is the jello? the sml or lrg size??

• Michelle O replied on May 4th, 2012 at 5:31 pm

The regular size, which is small

30. Anonymous posted on May 5, 2012 at 3:08 am (#)

One cup of tequila sounds like a lot so I’m going to make them with 1/2 cup of tequila and 1/2 cup margarita mix.

31. Anonymous posted on May 5, 2012 at 6:14 pm (#)

I put my jello shots in a muffin tin to set

32. Libby Bailey posted on June 8, 2012 at 4:16 pm (#)

I have made these for two parties, and both times they were a huge hit. I’m not very good in the kitchen, so I appreciate the ease. Some of the other jello shots are a bit more intimidating (although awesome looking). If you could try to come up with some simple ones for us culinary idiots, I sure would appreciate it!

33. European Cutie ♥ posted on June 24, 2012 at 4:21 pm (#)

These are adorable! I have nominated you for the versatile blogger award check it out! :) http://europeancutie.blogspot.com/

34. Andrea Ronnebaum posted on July 26, 2012 at 7:56 pm (#)

Looking forward to trying this-as an idea instead of cuttin the berry bottom off you could try putting the strawberries in an egg carton to hold them upright and easy for transport :)

35. Anonymous posted on August 19, 2012 at 7:33 pm (#)

Sooooo good!!Thanks :)

36. Janet posted on July 16, 2013 at 4:18 am (#)

I am having mu 60th birthday bash next month and love these strawberries! My favorite drink though are Pina Coladas. Do you think the same principle would work using Pina Colada mix poured inside the strawberries?

37. Janet posted on July 16, 2013 at 4:18 am (#)

38. foodfrenzyblog posted on May 1, 2014 at 2:21 pm (#)

Congratulations! We wanted to inform you that this post has been selected as a Featured Archive Post on our site for the month of May 2014!