My Buffalo Chicken Dip

Finally! I know that’s what my girlfriends are thinking as they read this post. I have been asked how to make this buffalo chicken dip a million times.  Ironically, it’s the one signature recipe I haven’t posted yet on this blog. There is a good reason for that …

Let’s face it…  It’s just not the prettiest dish. It looks like orange mush, but those who have tasted it will attest that it’s a perfect bite of spicy, tangy, chicken goodness.  Your friends will crave it and make you promise to bring it their next party.

The concept of this dish isn’t original, but it’s my technique that makes it better than the rest. Rather than poaching the chicken and pulling it apart with a fork, I poach mine and shred it into find crumbles in a food processor. Don’t skip that step, it’s just not the same without it.

You taste the chicken, but you just can’t put your finger on if there is really chicken in there. It’s so creamy, and so smooth…

I would also suggest that you only use Frank’s Red Hot Original cayenne sauce and that you most certainly do not use fat free ingredients. It’s worth running 3 miles to burn off after.

Michelle’s Buffalo Chicken Dip

2 eight ounce packages of cream cheese
1 cup ranch dressing
1 cup Franks Red Hot Original cayenne sauce
3 chicken breasts
1 package shredded sharp cheddar cheese

1 large casserole pan
1 bag of tortilla chips
Chopped celery

Directions
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees

Poach your chicken in boiling hot water with some salt for 10 minutes, turn off the burner and leave for an additional 5 minutes (over cooking the chicken will give it a gamey taste, gross)

Let the chicken cool then cut the breasts into smaller chucks. Using your shredding blade — that comes with most food processors — shred the chicken until it looks like crumbles or the way tuna fish looks when it’s mixed with a fork.

Remove the packaging from your cream cheese and place both packages in your casserole dish. To make sure your cream cheese is spreadable place the casserole dish with the cream cheese in the oven for about 10 minutes.

When the cream cheese is soft, pour in your cup of ranch and then cup of hot sauce and stir until it’s all mostly combined. Then about a quarter at a time mix in your shredded chicken. Next sprinkle in about half of your bag of shredded cheddar and mix. Heat in the oven for about 15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the dip is warm.

Sprinkle more cheese on top and cover with foil until you serve with celery and tortilla chips.

16 Responses to “My Buffalo Chicken Dip”

1. Rachel - At First Blush posted on June 6, 2011 at 8:45 pm (#)

YUM! Can’t wait to try this!!!

2. Jenny Eisen posted on June 6, 2011 at 10:17 pm (#)

OMG! Finally! I’m so making it soon!

3. Kim @ keller-creative posted on June 6, 2011 at 10:30 pm (#)

I make mine as more of a layered dip and I use blue cheese dressing. I love the idea of using a food processor to shred the chicken.

4. Hilary Mae posted on June 7, 2011 at 1:09 am (#)

This looks beyond delicious!!! I’m making this so soon!!!

5. Luiz Claudio posted on June 7, 2011 at 2:54 pm (#)

Hi, sweet! Nice dipes…let’s go to my blog too. I’m your new follower. Kiss!

6. Parsley Sage posted on June 7, 2011 at 4:14 pm (#)

Great idea with the food processor! I bet that gives it an awesome creamy consistency :)

7. Emily posted on June 7, 2011 at 8:16 pm (#)

I just made this sunday!! Its literally the best thing I have ever tasted in my life and could eat the entire thing myself! Such a great party dip,everyone always loves it!

8. Torviewtoronto posted on June 7, 2011 at 10:49 pm (#)

innovative dish looks good

9. Sabrina posted on June 8, 2011 at 12:35 am (#)

this is such a family favorite! i was yelled at last cookout for not bringing it!

10. Liz posted on June 9, 2011 at 8:31 pm (#)

OMG! I love buffalo chicken dip! In fact, when I mentioned it to my roommate she thought that I made it up – She made a pretty good version, but I will have to have her make yours!! :)

11. Debbi Does Dinner Healthy posted on September 6, 2011 at 12:56 am (#)

Love that technique with the chicken! That sounds awesome! Thanks!

12. Anonymous posted on October 27, 2011 at 3:52 pm (#)

Delicious – I just made this over the weekend for a party and I was surprised at how good it was! Everyone loved it.

13. Michelle O posted on December 2, 2011 at 5:06 pm (#)

Im so glad you tried it! I make it every party and every holiday per requests! People LOVE it

14. Anonymous posted on January 6, 2012 at 7:38 pm (#)

I substituted blue cheese crumbles for cheddar. The celery sticks for dipping make me feel better about my diet. Canned chicken can work for convenience but isn’t as good as poached.

15. Lilly posted on September 19, 2012 at 4:35 pm (#)

Love it! So delicious!

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Pingback: Game Day for the Gourmet: 15 Game Day Dip Recipes | The Divine Miss Mommy