Light Huevos Rancheros

I wanted to make a fresh salsa for this post and then use it as my excuse to have a bag of chips and salsa for dinner… but I’ve promised myself (and that new little black bikini still in my top dresser drawer) no bread, chips, pasta or heavy carbs until my vacation starts.

Huevos Rancheros was where I went instead. Black beans, an egg, avocado, salsa and hot sauce, yum.  I skipped the feta cheese, sour cream and tortilla to cut the carbs and saturated fat. Isn’t it colorful?

Have I ever mentioned how much I love hot sauce?

I’m not one of those people who put it on everything, but close enough. In my previous post I mentioned green pepper sauce. For my Huevos Rancheros I used Cholula Hot Sauce. Look even the makers of Cholula think it goes well on ranch style eggs.

I have even heard that making your food spicier helps you lose weight. I’m sure it’s not true, but I like the idea. Bring on the Cholula!

Shopping List
1 tomato, diced
1 quarter large red onion, diced
1/2 garlic clove, minced
Fresh cilantro
3 tablespoons lime juice
Salt
1 egg
Black Beans
Avocado
Cholula Hot Sauce (optional, but so good)

Mix your first six ingredients in a bowl and set aside. Heat up your black beans and use them as a bed for your fried egg. Slice up your avocado for a topping and spoon your freshly made salsa on top as well. Finish with Cholula and serve immediately.

10 Responses to “Light Huevos Rancheros”

1. Erika Lee Sears posted on June 28, 2011 at 4:03 pm (#)

Yum! I know a few people who are die hard hot sauce fans :) also referred to as the sauce. looks yummy!

2. Sutapa posted on June 28, 2011 at 4:04 pm (#)

Delicious colorful and I wish I could have that plate now!

3. The Slow Roasted Italian posted on June 28, 2011 at 6:31 pm (#)

These really look fantastic Michelle!

4. DD posted on June 28, 2011 at 8:10 pm (#)

this looks really fantastic :)

Happy Blogging!!!!
    Food Blog News Daily
    Good Food Recipes

5. Parsley Sage posted on June 29, 2011 at 12:23 am (#)

Very pretty dish! Great colors. And if you want to fit in that bikini…drag yourself to spinning. Ugh, I go three times a week. The downside of living somewhere that’s perpetual ‘vacation’ weather. Gotta stay bikini ready year round!

6. Sunshine And Smile posted on June 29, 2011 at 6:46 pm (#)

That would such a perfect summer lunch. So colorful and looks delicious.

7. Pola posted on June 29, 2011 at 7:53 pm (#)

These huevos rancheros look so great and fresh! Perfect summer lunch!

8. The Shiksa in the Kitchen posted on June 29, 2011 at 11:29 pm (#)

Hey Michelle– looks delish! I love hot sauce too. Thanks for friending me on Foodbuzz, looking forward to more of your posts. :)

9. Anonymous posted on January 6, 2012 at 7:45 pm (#)

Could you please Give us some tips for preparing the egg? You have managed to either fry or poach it beautifully.

10. Michelle O posted on January 6, 2012 at 7:47 pm (#)

Hi Anon! I learned how to poach an egg from Jenna at Eat Live Run! Here is my run down http://thatssomichelle.blogspot.com/2011/05/classic-poached-egg-with-asparagus.html