Hot Dog it’s Friday! (Gyro Dog)

Fact: I am still craving hot dogs.

Fact: Gyros are my second favorite to hot dogs.

Fact: I don’t have anymore facts but I  liked how stating “fact” sounded over and over. As I promised, here is Fridays special hot dog, the “Gyro Dog.”

What really made this hot dog work for me was the TABASCO® brand Green Jalapeño Pepper Sauce on top of the tzatziki and feta cheese. The green stuff is much more mild than the red so it gives it a perfect little kick.

The lettuce gave it a little crunch and the olives some salt. The flavors work really well on a bun!

I made two and planned on eating them both until Honey (my dog) stole one when I wasn’t looking off the coffee table (!!!). Kinda funny that my dog stole my hot dog. I tried not to get too mad at her. I can only imagine how hard it was for her to resist.

Shopping List
All beef hot dogs
Hot dog buns
shredded lettuce
chopped cherry or grape tomatoes
Diced kalamata olives
Tzatziki sauce (you can buy it pre-made or follow my recipe here)
TABASCO® brand Green Jalapeño Pepper Sauce

Butterfly your hot dogs and place them on a grill on grill pan until they have perfect grill markings. Toast your buns. Shred or chop your lettuce, tomatoes and olives while the dogs are on the grill.

When your hot dogs and buns are ready, mix your chopped lettuce in some on the tzatziki (wait to do this or it will get soggy) then place it on top of the hot dog, then sprinkle on your feta, tomatoes, and olives. Top with more tzatziki and a few shakes of green pepper sauce. Enjoy!

P.S. Thank you for all the congrats on making todays Foodbuzz Top 9. What an excellent way to start the weekend!

12 Responses to “Hot Dog it’s Friday! (Gyro Dog)”

1. Tina posted on June 24, 2011 at 8:44 pm (#)

Quite a flavorful dog here-the tzatziki
    sauce sounds great. I will pop on over and get your recipe for that. Congrats on the top 9-that icy treat is still on my mind.
    flourtrader.blogspot.com

2. Sabrina posted on June 24, 2011 at 9:58 pm (#)

fabulous hot dog!!! I love gyros so much!!! Im actually making a turkey burger pita version tonight and cannot wait! Ive never tried that kind of tabasco! will have to try that soon! Thanks for sharing! :)

3. savoryandsavage posted on June 24, 2011 at 10:53 pm (#)

Grats on making the top 9!!

I have been so craving a hot dog lately and yours looks delicious!

4. Leslie posted on June 24, 2011 at 11:41 pm (#)

those look amazing!

5. Rachel posted on June 25, 2011 at 1:57 am (#)

this looks sooo good. I love both gyros and hot dogs! I’m actually getting gyro tonight. I’ll have to try this!

6. DD posted on June 25, 2011 at 4:39 am (#)

yummy lovely treat for friday!!!!

Happy Blogging!!!!
    Food Blog News Daily
    Good Food Recipes

7. The Slow Roasted Italian posted on June 25, 2011 at 2:59 pm (#)

How fantastic! I love the flavor combination! YUM!!

8. Parsley Sage posted on June 25, 2011 at 4:12 pm (#)

Niiiiice! Combining two awesome foods. Well done :)

9. Spoon and Chopsticks posted on June 25, 2011 at 9:04 pm (#)

I bought some hot dog buns yesterday and I was wondering what fillings I should use in them. Here is a great idea in your post. Great combination of flavours.

10. Foodness Gracious posted on June 26, 2011 at 5:59 am (#)

Love the blog and excited to follow!
    Thanks for sharing..

11. Erin posted on June 27, 2011 at 4:04 pm (#)

What an interesting looking hot dog! So creative. Love the idea of mixing of hot dogs and gyros.

12. the food dude posted on September 21, 2011 at 9:25 am (#)

I can just imagine how delicious this must be…definitely not the usual hotdog. Will try this soon. Thanks!