Grilled Ruben Hot Dog

“What do you want for dinner tonight?”

“I really want a hot dog…”

“How can you possibly want another hot dog?”

“I don’t know, I just need one!”

So in order to fulfill this craving once and for all, I am hereby declaring this Summer, The Summer of the Hot Dog!  For the rest of the summer (which officially starts next week) I will blog a new hot dog recipe every Friday.

And not just any old ketchup and mustard hot dog, these hot dogs will be special. This week is the Grilled Ruben Hot Dog.

Shopping List  (recipe adapted from RedBook)

1 tablespoon canola oil
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 cup sauerkraut
1/2 cup diced grape tomatoes
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
2/3 cup dry white wine
4  top-split hot dog buns
1/3 cup Thousand Island dressing
Light Shredded Swiss cheese
4  all-beef hot dogs
2  kosher dill pickle quarters cut in half

Directions

Heat oil in a skillet over medium heat; add onion and sauté 6 minutes or until lightly browned. Add sauerkraut, tomatoes, salt, and pepper; sauté 3 minutes. Pour in wine and bring to boil; reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer 5 minutes or until wine is absorbed.

Toast insides of buns on in the oven or on a grill. Spread insides of buns with half of the dressing, then sprinkle your swiss cheese on top.

Butterfly your all beef hot dogs and grill outside or on a grill pan, each side for about 3 minutes. Place in buns and spread tops of hot dogs with remaining dressing, then spoon warmed sauerkraut mixture down the middle. Lay pickle halves along each side.

8 Responses to “Grilled Ruben Hot Dog”

1. Parsley Sage posted on June 17, 2011 at 5:59 pm (#)

Brilliant! I grilled hot dogs last night with sour cream, bacon, avocado and salsa after spotting the recipe at Diethood. Can’t wait to see what you bring.

Oh, and I also make your little watermelon jello shots for the ladies in my book club. They week positively gadzooks about them :)

2. Michelle O posted on June 17, 2011 at 6:05 pm (#)

I swear those jello shots will make you famous. Such a crowd pleaser! Your hot dog sounds amazing!!! I will have to check out that recipe on Diethood as well.

3. Tina posted on June 17, 2011 at 7:38 pm (#)

Hot dogs-my dads favorite lunch spot is the hot dog stand by Lowe’s! These are so versatile-so the thought of a weekly post is cool. Yum!
    flourtrader.blogspot.com

4. Adora's Box posted on June 17, 2011 at 7:58 pm (#)

I just love hot dogs. UK is not a land of hot dogs. They are into bangers (sausages). One of the first things I eat when I go to the US is hot dog. They are so great.

5. Lori Lynn posted on June 18, 2011 at 2:05 pm (#)

Oh that one looks mighty tasty!
    I like your Summer of the Hot Dog idea.
    LL

6. Made in Sonoma posted on August 18, 2011 at 3:43 am (#)

I love that you have a category dedicated to hot dogs. I think it’s hilarious! This one looks so good to me!

7. Nohemi Tutterrow posted on March 13, 2012 at 5:14 pm (#)

Looking at that grilled hotdog suddenly made me feel hungry! I haven’t tried one with pickles though. Hmm.. I can imagine the taste would be sweeter.

8. Jodi W. Brown posted on August 21, 2014 at 5:59 am (#)

This is a reoccurring conversation in my little kitchen lately. And while some people are all “hot-dogged out” I just can’t seem to get enough. Lej en pølsevogn