Grilled Eggplant with Tomato and Goat Cheese

Remember how I said I never liked zuchini as a kid and now I love it?  Well I’ve never really liked eggplant either but while roaming the grocery store looking for healthy dinner options, those big, strange, purple vegetables called to me.

And guess what?!  Just like zucchini,  I am now a fan of eggplant.  Maybe it had just never been prepared the way I like it.  Or maybe all the breading and cheese that was melted on top of eggplant Parmesan was too much of a reminder that it wasn’t chicken.

But this grilled eggplant dish,  topped with  grape tomatoes,  basil and goat cheese,  complements the soft and juicy vegetable perfectly.

What foods did you hate as a kid and now you love?  Brussels Sprouts?  Spinach?

Grilled Eggplant with Tomato and Goat Cheese  Serves Two or more

2 Eggplant (any kind, I used graffiti)
Olive oil
2 Garlic cloves
Grape tomatoes
Crumbled goat cheese
Basil
Zest and juice of one lemon
Salt and pepper

*Heat up a grill-pan on medium heat. As it is warming slice your eggplant into 1/3 to 1/4 inch circles. Mince one garlic clove and toss it into a bowl with about 1/2 a cup of olive oil. Brush the olive oil and garlic onto the eggplant slices. Salt the slices and allow them to sit for 5 minutes. Grill the eggplant for 5-6 minutes on each side.

*Chop your grape tomatoes into smaller pieces and mix gentle with chopped basil, minced garlic clove, and crumbled goat cheese. Squeeze in the juice of 1/2 of a lemon and grate in the zest.

*Top your eggplant with the tomato and goat cheese mixture and salt and pepper. Serve.

9 Responses to “Grilled Eggplant with Tomato and Goat Cheese”

1. Kim @ keller-creative posted on June 3, 2011 at 1:46 pm (#)

This looks so good! I love eggplant, Brussels sprouts, spinach and all things I didn’t dream of eating as a kid.

2. Liz posted on June 3, 2011 at 2:28 pm (#)

that looks amazing!!! Since I am the opposite of a vegetarian, I would totally want some Italian sausage with this, then call it dinner!
    When are you coming over to cook? ;)

3. Pola posted on June 3, 2011 at 3:56 pm (#)

I sooooooooo love eggplants! You should really experiment with them they are an awesome vegetable.

4. amy b.s. posted on June 3, 2011 at 6:19 pm (#)

oh my gosh. i am serioulsy going to buy an eggplant right now!

5. Abby posted on June 3, 2011 at 6:44 pm (#)

Goat cheese, tomatoes, AND eggplant? Those are 3 of my fave things!! YUM

6. Jackie and Jon posted on June 3, 2011 at 7:01 pm (#)

I’ve never liked eggplant and even thought I was allergic to it for most of my childhood, but so many people have said positive things about eggplant! I may give it a try! Thanks for this easy and delicious recipe!

7. Parsley Sage posted on June 3, 2011 at 9:39 pm (#)

Well done! I’m right where you are. I’m discovering vegetables that I never thought I’d ever eat. Mushroom and spinach are my super favorites now :)

8. Hester Chang posted on June 4, 2011 at 8:27 am (#)

Mmm, absolutely done right. I think grilling is my favorite preparation for eggplant. That flavor and awesome mushiness that comes from it is just fantastic! Hooray for being a fan of eggplant now :-)

9. Anonymous posted on September 1, 2012 at 1:16 am (#)

This was yummy. I skipped the lemon juice