Fresh Orange Mojito

Last night, I needed a little taste of vacation before my vacation.

June has been a long month and these past couple weeks have been particularly stressful. My mini get away to the Outer Banks will be exactly what the doctor ordered.

While sipping my mojito I thought about morning runs on the small friendly roads around the beach house. Board games and snacks with the kids. Cracking blue crabs at dusk on the big screened in porch, books on the beach and 4th of July fireworks.

Today I will be picking up a new beach bag, some deep conditioning spray to protect my hair from salt water frizzies and a new book.

Any beach read suggestions?

Shopping List (from Food Network, minus the lime)

1/2 orange, cut into 3 wedges
2 teaspoons sugar
1 or 2 sprigs fresh mint
2 1/2 ounces white rum
1 cup crushed ice

Put the oranges, sugar, and mint in a large rocks glass. Muddle the leaves and citrus by pressing them with a pestle or a wooden spoon until juicy and fragrant. Add the rum and ice. Cover with a cocktail shaker and shake vigorously, or stir, until combined and chilled, about 30 seconds. (In general, by the time the shaker mists up the drink is ready.) Serve.

9 Responses to “Fresh Orange Mojito”

1. Rachel - At First Blush posted on June 30, 2011 at 2:36 pm (#)

Yum! This looks great! I’m reading “The Summer We Read Gatsby” and next us is “Bossypants”!

2. Diethood.com posted on June 30, 2011 at 3:21 pm (#)

MMMMM! So yummy and refreshing!

I haven’t read a book since my two year old was born… I couldn’t help you there. :)

3. Steph posted on June 30, 2011 at 5:26 pm (#)

I need some of this right now! Sounds so refreshing

4. Erika Lee Sears posted on June 30, 2011 at 8:11 pm (#)

YUm I love a summer cocktail. one of my favs is pinapple/orange/vodka- then when you serve a splash of club of 7up for fizz. :)

5. DD posted on June 30, 2011 at 8:17 pm (#)

wow that’s refreshing!!!!!looks delicious!!
    Happy Blogging!!!!
    Food Blog News Daily
    Good Food Recipes

6. Dee at Deelicious Sweets posted on July 1, 2011 at 4:31 am (#)

What a great looking drink! I have mint growing in my garden for the first time and I’m on the lookout for some yummy herby drinks! Saved!

7. Parsley Sage posted on July 1, 2011 at 12:54 pm (#)

Awesome drink. Perfect for the perfect weekend you’re set to have :) Buzzed!

We’re reading ‘White Tiger’ by Aravind Adiga in book club this month. You should read that since you’re an honorary member of the Cayman BC after those phenom jello shots :)

8. Tiffany posted on July 1, 2011 at 2:02 pm (#)

The Brief and Wonderous Life of Oscar Wao or The Country Under My Skin! And killer mojito combo! :D

9. The Shiksa in the Kitchen posted on July 12, 2011 at 7:18 am (#)

Yummy!