Classic Poached Egg with Asparagus

If it’s not to much to ask — I know I just requested that you put mayonnaise on corn — you should really try a poached egg on top of asparagus. They are a match made in foodie heaven.

*1 egg * asparagus *1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar *salt and pepper *fresh parmesan cheese *olive oil

Speaking of poached eggs, why have I been frying eggs my whole life when they are just as delish without the  extra calories? I think I was afraid of the process, but I followed Jenna’s instructions on Eat, Live, Run and it was a snap. This whole dish took about 10 minutes.

Asparagus

1. Snap off the tough ends of the asparagus with your hands (bend the stalk and it will snap on its on where it needs to) and cook in boiling salted water for 4 to 5 minutes depending on the thickness of the stalks.
2. Remove from heat, and drain. Toss with olive oil and salt and pepper to taste. Place on plate.

Poaching an Egg

1.  Crack an egg in a small bowl and put aside.
2. Boil a pot of water. When boiling add the table spoon of vinegar and a pinch of salt.
3. Carefully pour egg from bowl into boiling water. It will look strange, don’t worry, you did it right. Cover the pot and set a timer for 3 minutes. Exactly.
4. After 3 minutes, using a slotted spoon, remove your egg and place on top of the seasoned asparagus. Sprinkle on fresh parmesan shavings and salt and pepper.

Serve right away.

18 Responses to “Classic Poached Egg with Asparagus”

1. Sutapa posted on May 12, 2011 at 11:46 am (#)

That’s a lovely colorful dish…..it’s quick, easy and delicious!

2. Dree posted on May 12, 2011 at 1:08 pm (#)

Yum yum yum!!

3. Parsley Sage posted on May 12, 2011 at 1:11 pm (#)

Gorgeous dish! Not the biggest asparagus fan but I could pretty much devour anything that lives under an egg. Well done!

4. {Selma} Crazy Little World Of Mine posted on May 12, 2011 at 2:59 pm (#)

Love asparagus!!!! Yummmmmmm

5. Sandra posted on May 12, 2011 at 3:26 pm (#)

Wow, this looks amazing! I am not big fan of asparagus but could totally eat this!!Thanks for sharing sweetie!

6. Jennifer posted on May 12, 2011 at 3:50 pm (#)

I think I might make this for breakfast! I am trying to go on a health kick and I have everything to make these. Thanks for the idea! =)

Jenny @ Savour the Senses

7. Angie's Recipes posted on May 12, 2011 at 4:39 pm (#)

This so so so delectable! I am a huge fan of green asparagus. Yummy!

8. Liz posted on May 12, 2011 at 8:08 pm (#)

Seriously going to be coming over for every meal! They all look amazing!

9. Michelle O posted on May 14, 2011 at 12:19 am (#)

Looks like my posts are back… lost all the comments though :( boooo

10. Sabrina posted on May 14, 2011 at 3:12 am (#)

Love poached eggs! This looks fabulous! Especially with those big shreds of parm cheese! :)

11. savoryandsavage posted on May 14, 2011 at 4:57 am (#)

That is one of my favorite egg dishes! The Parmesan shavings make the dish.

12. Holly Henry posted on May 15, 2011 at 2:23 pm (#)

Hi Michelle…when you have minute stop my blog. I have an award for you:)

Holly

13. Erin posted on May 15, 2011 at 3:53 pm (#)

Such a beautiful picture! I don’t like eggs, but this looks great.

14. Mother Rimmy posted on May 15, 2011 at 4:47 pm (#)

I have a recipe like this too. It’s something I’d never tried before, and I have to say it makes an amazing and healthy meal! The colors are so pretty and make such a nice presentation. Thanks for the recipe!

15. Susan Lindquist posted on May 15, 2011 at 9:15 pm (#)

I have always been squirrely about poaching eggs too! My mom always used this funky pan that had little built-in dishes that she buttered and put the raw egg in. The whole thing sat over a boiling pan of water that she covered for 4 minutes. Who knows where the pan is today … hence my hesitation. These instructions, though, sound ‘foolproof’. Maybe I CAN poach an egg!

16. Emily posted on May 17, 2011 at 12:25 am (#)

grilled asparagus are my favorite yumm

17. Becka posted on May 17, 2011 at 6:16 pm (#)

this looks AMAZING!!!!

18. Kelly posted on May 22, 2011 at 9:42 pm (#)

I am recently obsessed with poached eggs. You don’t have to tell me twice! Trying this!