I spent the next morning miserable on the couch with a cold washcloth on my forehead unable to do much but watch re-runs of Chopped on our DVR. Good thing Nick was there to take care of me. He made me pancakes!
When I felt better -- after I missed an entire beautiful Sunday -- I made him this Cherry Apple Sugar Cone Crumble. An adaptation of this Apple Berry Brown Betty in this months FoodNetwork Magazine .
*1 can cherry pie filling *2 Fuji apples *4 sugar cones (crushed) *1 teaspoon salt *1/2 cup brown sugar *1/3 cup sliced almonds *1 teaspoon cinnamon *1/2 teaspoon nutmeg *1 stick melted butter
The best part of this dessert was the hint of salt that came out with the brown sugar and crushed sugar cones. It really elevated the flavor. I like the tang of the cherries paired with the crunch of apples but you can use any kind of fruit filling you like. Strawberries would be good too...
1. (Pre heat oven to 350 degrees.) Peel and slice your Fuji apples into small cubes. In a large bowl mix the cherry filling and chopped apples.
2. In a separate large bowl toss your crushed sugar cones, brown sugar, sliced almonds, cinnamon and nutmeg (don’t underestimate the power of nutmeg, a little is enough).
3. Mix 5 tablespoons of melted butter into your sugar cone crumble.
4. Grease two ramekins with butter and fill each half way with your cherry, apple filling.
5. Pack your sugar cone crumble on top of the filling and then pour more filling on top of that.
6. Top your full ramekins with more sugar cone crumble and place in the oven for 30 minutes. Serve right away.