A Little “Cottage” Living Room

I’ve been struggling while attempting to redecorating our small living room recently. I can’t seem to come up with a cohesive overall look. I find little pieces I like here and there (flowers in vases or candles) and then change my mind because one doesn’t work with another.

If you find yourself at a stand still in your decorating plans first find the style that suits you best, then find photos of rooms you like (I looked here http://www.myhomeideas.com/ and browsed the “cottage” section)then find the common theme in each room you liked.

I need to not be afraid to mismatch patterns on pillows and rugs.The stripe and damask print really works here. I also like the red accents (note they even carry into the kitchen), as well as the use of brown through out with the bamboo shades…

Here I like the splash of pink from the flowers and how well it works with the patterned chairs. Perhaps a similar patterned throw pillow with bright pink accent flowers would go well next to our dark espresso ladder shelves and light olive green couch.

Do I have a thing for neutral colors and then bright flowers or what? I love the curtains here as well, and the large painting really pops and makes the room seem less stuffy.

12 Responses to “A Little “Cottage” Living Room”

1. Leslie posted on March 10, 2011 at 11:49 pm (#)

I love these rooms!!!

2. K. Keller posted on March 10, 2011 at 11:57 pm (#)

I love that middle room. Great website for resources too!

3. Poppy posted on March 11, 2011 at 2:28 am (#)

The first room reminds me of my friends old lake house…oh how I miss going there every weekend :'(
    The second room is my favorite :-)

4. Michelle O posted on March 11, 2011 at 4:00 am (#)

The second one is my favorite too… I really think I am going to try and duplicate some of that room in my own.

5. Girl in Oslo. posted on March 11, 2011 at 1:13 pm (#)

Love your new header girl…
    Very fresh looking…

I love the photos…

Have a great day.

6. Emily posted on March 11, 2011 at 3:41 pm (#)

that second room is my dream house! Wow! I love beautiful things like this. have a great weekend!

7. Liz posted on March 11, 2011 at 7:32 pm (#)

You have some amazing taste!!! We need to get together for our shopping date, though I understand wanting to wait for payday! :) Hope you’re still loving your new car!
    -Liz

8. Bud and Leo posted on March 12, 2011 at 1:08 am (#)

I LOVE the second one! I have a thing for blue/grays and then splashes of bright pink flowers too!

9. Hayley posted on March 12, 2011 at 3:23 am (#)

SO beautiful! I am with you on the bright flowers. They make the room so much more cheerful and interesting!

10. Jen posted on March 14, 2011 at 5:56 pm (#)

Oh how I LOVE that first room!! So my style! And the colors? Gorgeous!

Happy Monday Darling! xo

11. Human Sparkler ♥ posted on March 18, 2011 at 8:24 pm (#)

I love the second room sooo soo much!
    -Katie

12. jputter posted on July 2, 2014 at 1:14 am (#)

I have a question. Are the trim and fireplace the same white/cream color or are the walls and trim the same taupe color with only the fireplace in white/cream. I love the airiness of this room. I have a similar configuration in a room. My fireplace, wall surrounding fireplace, trim and wainscoting are all dark wood. I love the light and airiness of your room. Want to know how to achieve it.