Fancy Watermelon Lime Jello Shots

I made these for our New Years Eve Party (with left over oranges and cherry jello we had in the pantry) and they were a huge hit. Who doesn’t love jello shots? Brings me right back to college. Unfortunately dixie cups don’t exactly look elegant alongside fancy cheese plates and party napkins. Not to mention the pink or blue stain on your finger all night from extracting.

Here is your solution! I am bringing them to a housewarming party tonight. Aren’t they gorgeous? The color combinations are endless.

*10 limes, *one box watermelon (or any kind of red color) jello * 1 cup vodka  *1 cup boiling water
- 10 limes makes 40 jello shots –

1. Prepare limes by cutting them in halves and hollowing out the peel. This may sound easier than it is. The trick is to take a paring knife and score around the insides carefully to loosen the citrus. Then spoon it out saving the fruit. (If you have a juicer for every 1 cup of lime juice add 6 cups of water and half a cup of sugar and 3 teaspoons of honey for an awesome limeade).

2. Boil one cup of water and add it to jello mix in a large bowl, stirring until it dissolves.

3. Slowly add one cup of vodka and stir. (For a kid friendly non-alcoholic version just use cold water instead of vodka)

4. Pour mixture into a cup with a spout (for an even pour). I use a measuring cup. Line up limes on a cookie sheet so they are secure and upright. Pour in jello mixture. Refrigerated over night.

5. Carefully (gingerly) quarter the halves with a sharp knife.
For featuring on your website please make sure to contact thatssomichelle@gmail.com

63 Responses to “Fancy Watermelon Lime Jello Shots”

1. Leslie posted on February 5, 2011 at 4:29 pm (#)

these are so cute and summery!!!

2. Girl about Oslo posted on February 5, 2011 at 4:39 pm (#)

Hi girl…
    Like the first girl said,,,they add the summer feeling.

Have a great day.

3. Jenni posted on February 5, 2011 at 4:48 pm (#)

Nice!! I found your blog through the remixer list, and I’m so glad I did. I have a friend’s b-day party to go to next weekend, and I was going to make Jello shots. Last year I did rainbow layers in the little cups, and it was awesome but really a pain. This year, I’m going to give these a shot!

-Jenni @ http://www.theladyboard.com

4. Morgan posted on February 5, 2011 at 5:49 pm (#)

So perfect! I’m definitely going to try those this summer. :)

5. From the Kitchen posted on February 5, 2011 at 8:12 pm (#)

Great idea! They look summery (a plus in midwinter) and delicious. I can see them fitting into the D.C. social scene just fine.

Best,
    Bonnie

6. Michelle O posted on February 5, 2011 at 9:53 pm (#)

They do look summery! (funny that you can see the snow out back in the photo) I can’t wait for warmer weather anymore. I’ve only been using bright and light pink nail polish for two weeks now!

7. Antoinette posted on February 6, 2011 at 12:28 am (#)

OMG yum! Such a fantastic idea. I’m gonna try this.

antoinettemusik.blogspot.com

8. Alleen posted on February 7, 2011 at 2:09 pm (#)

Those are so adorable and so summery! I hope you had a wonderful weekend! Happy Monday!

9. Sunshine posted on February 8, 2011 at 5:22 am (#)

absolutely loving this … so gorgeous and sexy!!!

10. Mrs. Day posted on February 9, 2011 at 3:35 am (#)

wow! those look great! I will have to try them!!

11. Tiffany posted on February 10, 2011 at 2:43 am (#)

Oh, this brings back memories of my college days! LOL!

12. ashire posted on February 21, 2011 at 11:06 am (#)

omg, love these! love alcohol! thanks for the idea:)We never had these in Singapore, how come!

13. Naomi posted on April 4, 2011 at 9:05 pm (#)

These are an amazing idea! :)

14. Jes Armstrong posted on May 27, 2011 at 2:27 am (#)

Thank you for the great idea! I made some for my kickball game and everyone loved them. I wrote about it and gave you credit for these adorable treats :) Keep it up!

15. Dana posted on June 25, 2011 at 5:50 am (#)

These are adorable!! I love the creativity!

16. Corley posted on June 27, 2011 at 6:39 pm (#)

The Limes don’t taste as well as lemon or orange peels do.

17. Michelle O posted on June 27, 2011 at 6:41 pm (#)

Corley — I totally agree — while they look so pretty, they didn’t pair as well with the vodka. I may try tequila in these next!

18. Zestuous posted on June 29, 2011 at 3:47 am (#)

How Creative!!!

19. Emily @ eat.drink.run. posted on June 29, 2011 at 2:20 pm (#)

just found this post – loooove this idea! i have a bachelorette party next weekend that these will be perfect for!

20. Valerie posted on June 29, 2011 at 3:20 pm (#)

Those look great! You had a great idea!

21. Lauren at Keep It Sweet posted on June 29, 2011 at 3:57 pm (#)

LOVE these!

22. Washtay posted on June 29, 2011 at 5:44 pm (#)

Whoa Michelle…I’m dropping everything here, off to the market and the liquor store. These will take the edge off our 90+F humid days. Thank you!

23. Jenna Short posted on June 29, 2011 at 6:17 pm (#)

brilliant!

24. Torviewtoronto posted on June 30, 2011 at 1:19 am (#)

lovely presentation

25. Ashley posted on July 7, 2011 at 10:54 pm (#)

I love these, I made them tonight and they look great! I did them in both lemons and limes! I found the easiest way to get the pulp out of the limes was to squeeze the lime to get some juice out, then turn the lime inside out, after that it’s a lot easier to peel the lime out. And then flip back the right way quite easily. Just a tip for anyone else making these! :)

26. jesikah posted on July 8, 2011 at 6:31 pm (#)

Love these! Can’t wait to make them! :)

27. esther (ambitious deliciousness) posted on July 11, 2011 at 3:58 pm (#)

AMAZING! :) I am going to make them soon!

28. km posted on July 19, 2011 at 11:59 pm (#)

you could sprinkle some poppy seeds on top for a cute touch that dosn’t interfere with the flavors! :)

29. Jenny P posted on July 22, 2011 at 4:55 pm (#)

I am taking these to an event I am attending tomorrow. I am positive they will be the life of the party!

30. The Daily Dish posted on July 26, 2011 at 1:56 am (#)

These are AWESOME!!!! Best jello shots EVER.

31. Barbara Bell Photography posted on August 11, 2011 at 7:02 pm (#)

I love this! They do look cute … and could pass as elegant next to your cheese plate!

32. SEO Company posted on August 17, 2011 at 4:49 am (#)

But I’ve found this great link to instructions for gelatin shots without the mess and posted on my facebook. Long story short my brother asked me to do something for the adults in your party this weekend a combination of his party’s annual crayfish and the graduation of his daughter’s high school .

33. Shannon posted on August 17, 2011 at 6:04 am (#)

omg this is awesome! Just a tip, fill your jello shot containers with a turkey baster for no mess and easy handling. I bet you could float chunks of dark gummies or licorice in this for seeds! The sky is the limit.

34. jesikah posted on August 31, 2011 at 1:04 pm (#)

I made these for my friend’s bachelorette party and they were a HUGE hit! Thanks so much for the step by step!

35. Joyce posted on September 18, 2011 at 10:27 pm (#)

This is cool. I’ll have to try it some time soon.

36. Anonymous posted on September 24, 2011 at 3:24 am (#)

These are great! I made them a couple of months ago for the adults at my daughter’s graduation party. I found that cutting the lime halves into quarters with a pair of scissors went much better than using a knife. I also used a citrus knife (a flat bladed knife, serrated on both sides, with a bend at the tip) to cut around the edge of the limes and scraped the pulp out with a teaspoon.

37. MaMaRia522 posted on October 5, 2011 at 5:30 pm (#)

Made these last night…can’t wait to show them off!! Not an easy task getting the pulp out but so worth it. Mini muffin tins are perfect for holding the limes upright while the jello sets. :) Thanks Michelle!!

38. Messicaaa posted on October 7, 2011 at 3:55 am (#)

Just wondering for these and all the other totally awesome jello shots, when you say “one box of jello” is that the 3oz box or the large 6oz box? Normally I’d assume the smaller because you didn’t specify “big box” but all my other jello shot recipes call for the big box so I’m asking. I also want to thank You for sharing these with us, I’m so excited to make the candy corn and caramel apple ones for our Halloween party!!

39. KJ posted on October 14, 2011 at 12:54 pm (#)

I tried this for a bbq last night and a few cuts and an hour later, i had done 10 limes. Definitely time consuming, but worth it when you see all your mini ‘watermelons’ lined up. I bought the 6oz box of Jello though and had to keep cutting limes because it made about 18 limes worth of jello. I’m assuming you meant to say use the 3oz box now, though I don’t think any of the guests will be complaining about a few extra jello shots!

40. Anonymous posted on December 4, 2011 at 1:48 am (#)

If you place the lime peel halves in a muffin pan instead of trying to line them on a baking sheet it makes this a million times easier!

41. Loves it posted on December 4, 2011 at 6:12 pm (#)

Made these last night for my friends 30th. Made mine with malibu and a splash of vodka and others with half sour puss and half Malibu both tasted fantastic and ev eryone loved them. Thanks for the great idea!

42. Lindsey Lou posted on December 15, 2011 at 3:44 am (#)

Poppy seeds would look cute on these

43. Anonymous posted on January 9, 2012 at 8:25 pm (#)

These were a huge hit at my husbands 40th. Many compliments. Thank you!

44. Anonymous posted on January 16, 2012 at 1:23 pm (#)

I always love trying different recipes, try these out there some of my favorite http://howtofixstuff.blogspot.com/2012/01/how-to-fix-various-jello-shots.html

45. Anonymous posted on January 24, 2012 at 1:12 am (#)

I totally NEED to have a party or go to a party very very soon to try out these new jello shot recipes! So happy to have found you on pineterest!

46. Nina posted on January 24, 2012 at 2:03 pm (#)

Love this idea and all your shots look soo yummy, can’t wait to try some. Just Pinned you! Thanks for sharing.

47. Anonymous posted on January 31, 2012 at 5:28 am (#)

Instead of cookie sheet, a cupcake tin would hold them more stable!

48. Anonymous posted on February 4, 2012 at 7:05 am (#)

Gave these a shot and they turned out fabulous!!! Thanks girl, these r now the hit of the party!

49. Anonymous posted on February 4, 2012 at 10:42 pm (#)

Thanks for the great recipe. I’ve got my lemons setting in the fridge right now, so excited to serve at the Super Bowl party!

50. Anonymous posted on February 5, 2012 at 4:05 am (#)

Just finished three different jello shot recipes to serve at the super bowl party. I used oranges and limes. Thanks for the recipe.
    Cherry Amaretto Jello Shots: 3 oz cherry jello, 1 c. boiling water, 2 oz. cold water, 6 oz. amaretto. Margarita Jello Shots: 3 oz. watermelon jello, 1 c. boiling water, 4 oz tequila, 4 oz margarita mix. Sex on the Beach Jello Shots: 3 oz. orange jello, 1 c. boiling cranberry juice, 3 oz peach schnapps, 5 oz. vodka.

51. Anonymous posted on February 5, 2012 at 3:14 pm (#)

Just made these super cute taking to a Superbowl party thank you for the great idea!

52. Rach posted on February 15, 2012 at 1:32 am (#)

Those look geat. I would love to try to make these.

53. Wendy posted on February 27, 2012 at 3:55 pm (#)

I made these this past weekend for a 40th birthday party and let me tell you, they were a HUGE hit!!
    I used limes and lemons with raspberry Jell-O and raspberry Sour Puss!
    I also placed the cut limes and lemons in or on top of a muffin pan to hold them in place while the Jell-O set up. Works beautifully!
    Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful idea with us! I was even asked by a few people at the party I attended if they could “hire” me to make them for their next party!

54. DineIn Chennai posted on March 9, 2012 at 12:10 pm (#)

The Pictures are so nice! It looks like watermelon honey!!!

55. Anonymous posted on April 17, 2012 at 3:37 am (#)

If you candy the peels first, the entire thing is edible and adds a nice tang. Just get out more of the pith (white stuff) when you scrape the peels.

56. Anonymous posted on April 17, 2012 at 11:56 pm (#)

Wondering if you could drop a few chia seeds in each one for effect. Worth trying.

57. asia posted on April 23, 2012 at 7:42 pm (#)

They look soo great with limes! Tomorrow I will make them myself, except I won’t use vodka. Cool pictures!

58. Module posted on June 4, 2012 at 1:25 am (#)

Thank you for the great recipe…….hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

59. Muhammad Atif posted on July 12, 2012 at 12:51 pm (#)

The trick is to take a paring knife and score around the insides carefully to loosen the citrus, Send gifts to Pakistan from UK.

60. Anonymous posted on July 28, 2012 at 6:35 pm (#)

we just reopened our club under a new partner…..looking for a creative way to sell shots…well me being a man i was going to just use condiment containers …but somethin told me NO..i found you Idea for watermelon and limeade shots ,,,well guess what i am now the jello shot man …thanks for the new title….
    PS THEY WERE A GREAT ADDITION TO OUR MENU THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU

61. Melissa Speckel posted on August 20, 2012 at 8:18 pm (#)

Do you recommend a certain vodka?

62. bartenders411 posted on May 30, 2013 at 7:48 pm (#)

Great recipes!! Thank You So Much.

Team Bartenders411.com
    Bartenders

63. TheSammyJean posted on December 3, 2013 at 7:57 pm (#)

Cool idea for you to go with the vodka red bull shots? Why not try tequila, salt and lime shots? You could leave some the lime in the peel for a bit of bite and mix salt and tequila with gello mix? Whatdo you think??