Chocolate Covered Orange Peel
*2 oranges *Chocolate (milk or dark) candy melts *1 cup sugar *1 cup water
1. Score 2 oranges, making sure there is no fruit left on the peel, and slice them into thin clean strips.
2. Blanch (soak) the orange peel strips in boiling water for a couple minutes and remove them. Dry them off and blanch them one more time. (This removes the bitterness, in retrospect I enjoy a little bit of the bitter taste and would only blanch them once)
3. Simmer them in a simple syrup for one hour. 1 cup water, 1 cup sugar. Caution: Keep your eye on them. Seriously. They sugar can burn quickly.
4. Let them sit on a drying wrack for a few hours. I even put mine outside in the cold to harden a bit.
5. Melt your chocolate and dip the ends or the whole peel. Refrigerate and enjoy!